Thursday, June 9, 2016

Digital Blog Post #E- Chapters 7&9


                                                    Video credit to Tara Linney on Youtube
                                     

      The first concept I would like to address is the use of Google Earth in the classroom. Before reading the textbook I would have never guessed that this program could be useful in any classroom, but after reading the examples and uses that the textbook gave I find that it would be a fascinating addition to any class. I especially like the idea of using Google Earth in an English classroom to make a book come alive. In high school I knew many students who hated reading and much rather watch a movie, but seeing where certain scenes in a book took place, I believe, would help students enjoy what they are reading a lot more. I think this could be such a great use of using technology to enhance many topics in the classroom.

Gamification
                       
                                                 By Brigettrivet | View this Toon at ToonDoo | Create your own Toon
   

      The second concept I found interesting is Gamification. I thought it was extremely interesting how the textbook showed both pros and cons of gamification. I believe if the students are closely monitored that the use of gamification can be definitely a benefit when it comes to providing recognition and rewards in a fun way. The textbook used the example of Jeopardy- style games as a form of gamification and it reminded me of some of the times I have played games like this in middle school, high school and even college. I believe it’s a great way to help students study without it feeling like work and without pressure. I definitely will be using gamification in my future classroom. 

      The last concept is using cameras with students. This concept is one that I don’t agree with or find necessary to use in classrooms. The only use I would find in using cameras in the classroom is to film yourself teaching so you can see what needs to be improved or changed. I think its unnecessary to use allow students to use cameras to make short films or for student writing. I believe it could end up wasting time, or seem unfair if only one student can use a camera at a time. I believe camera use should be restricted to teachers and students should not use them. 



References

Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

 Rivet, B. (2016, June 09). Gamification by Brigettrivet - ToonDoo - World's fastest way to create cartoons! Retrieved June 09, 2016, from http://www.toondoo.com/View.toon?param=10229935 

T. (2014). Using Google Earth in the Classroom. Retrieved June 09, 2016, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqR5DWnjpTw 






No comments:

Post a Comment